This school started in 1903 as a centre for Anglican ministerial training at Namirembe hill and soon moved to Mukono were it was established in 1913 as Bishop Tucker Theological College.
During its early period the college served the whole of East Africa, and grew in stature to become the flagship institution of the Church of Uganda. In 1997, the college grew into the Uganda Christian University offering several disciplines in addition to training pastors mainly for the Church of Uganda.
The Bishop Tucker School of Divinity & Theology is one of the seven main faculties of the University. It also provides the compulsory “foundation studies” courses for all UCU students. The courses are in ethics, world views, mathematics, research and writing, health and wholeness, basic computing, and theology.
The school prepares men and women for Christian ministry in Uganda and Africa in general. The basic preparation needed does not change. It is the knowledge of responding to the call to serve God and express his love through prayerful study of the word of God in Christian fellowship.
Now the University and the Bishop Tucker School of Divinity & Theology are preparing to celebrate 100 years of training church and community leaders in 2013.
Train men and women for pastoral and academic ministry; to train them in godly living, to equip them to preach, evangelise, teach, care for, and pastor God’s people in knowledge and love of God throughout the world.
To prepare faithful leaders who are called to serve God in both church ministry and public life.